Friday, July 4, 2014

Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic… Day 2

"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off." Raymond Chandler

In addition to potential bad odor, fatigue is one of the major withdrawal symptoms as well as sleeplessness. I was very tired and went to bed around 12:30 last night which could also be due to our new dog, Lolita, who comes to MY side of the bed at 5:30 almost every morning. Her internal clock might as well be Swiss as if it's not 5:30, it's 5:31. But she's sweet.  

 Slept terrible primarily because I was hot, sweaty and gross. More aggravation is either my husband has the libido of a snail or he is simply not attracted to me any more. Sucks as I am feeling very frisky lately.  Verrrrry frisky!

Health: Not feeling so good this morning, but I don’t want to anticipate it’s all withdrawal although I can’t discount the possibility.  A little nausea, but did not eat a whole lot for dinner, and the ever-present sweating. I don’t smell… I don’t think. I wonder if my withdrawal symptoms may be worse than previous attempts, as recently changed my drink of choice from red wine to the aforementioned  whiskey in the freezer. Irish whiskey packs a more intense alcohol percentage level than red wine so who knows. Could this affect my withdrawal/detoxification? 

Cravings:
The good news was that last night I had just a few rumbles of desire. A couple of times it was if I could taste the Irish whiskey.  Sense memory?  I do love the taste. DARN IT. However, the good news the longing was both very manageable and brief.

The bad news is I had a few moments this afternoon when I really wanted a glass of a good Syrah or Cabernet.  I know this is grasping at straws, but I am sometimes reassured that I crave specific drinks rather than just alcohol as in vodka.  There are times when I think I like alcohol as much for the experiences it represents than for the drinking. 

Drinking alcohol represents something more than a drink. It is an occasion, an event, an emotion connection to a place or people.

Red wine = Italian or good food in general and entertaining. 
Sparkling wine, cava and Vinho Verde = Relaxing in the sun with a European flair. 
Irish Whiskey = Ireland, mysteries, rain, and my dad
Beer = Simple fun/friends

Can you imagine a British mystery that doesn't mention brandy at  least once? 
Okay, end of day here:
Overall not too many, if any problems. Perhaps my nausea was due to something else. Read all day, except for some sweating time on the elliptical that was needed expelling toxins, don't you know. Nice to sweat on purpose rather than just be Jabba the Hut. 

A little headachey, but not unusual for a dirty, desert city, and my eyes aren’t quite as puffy although my hands are a little.


I have noticed that I am eating more sugar and fat.  Made chocolate chip oatmeal cookies as well as macaroni and cheese. 

No wonder it's called "Battling Addiction" at times. It's all so physical.

No comments:

Post a Comment